Preston Street house fire caused by misused fireplace

Fire investigators said Monday that a St. Patrick’s Day house fire sparked as a result of an uncontrolled fire in a decorative fireplace.

By Paul Rebar

Flame damage was clearly visible Monday to the roof of a building that caught fire on St. Patrick's Day. (Paul Rebar photo)

Fire investigators said Monday that a St. Patrick’s Day house fire started as a result of an uncontrolled fire in a fireplace.

According to Division Chief Stephen Nearing, the fireplace was more for decoration and than fire.

Property manager Anna Brown figured this to be the case while watching from the sidewalk Sunday evening.

“That’s what the tenant inside at the time told me,” said Brown.

Smoke started billowing from the roof of 1977 Preston Street at about 7:30 Sunday evening.

Halifax Regional Firefighters work to put out the flames of a house fire Sunday evening. (Paul Rebar photo)

Four Dalhousie University students are homeless because of the fire. Only one was home when the fire started. They got out safely.

While the blaze was not serious, it took firefighters nearly 45 minutes to control.

The fire caused significant smoke and flame damage to the inside of the flat but didn’t spread to the neighbouring houses despite a strong wind.