The City of Halifax and Dalhousie University are planning to install a protected bike lane on campus. Avid cyclists think this is what the city needs, while others claim it isn’t worth losing the three accessible parking spots that will have to be removed if the lane is made. The project would cost $200,000, and the city would lose $70,000 annually from 24 parking meters that would be removed. It was suggested that this type of bike lane would be more useful on a street such as Robie Street.
Dalhousie plans to hike tuition, cut faculty budgets (Chronicle Herald)
Dalhousie plans to increase tuition by three per cent and cut faculty budgets over the next year. Nova Scotia tuition is already around eight per cent higher than the national average. The faculty budget cuts will only affect departments with decreasing enrolment. This includes arts, social sciences, law, dentistry and sustainability. Departments with increasing enrolment will receive more funding. This includes science, computer science, engineering and medicine.
Daniel Bartek, Cam McDonald and Bobby Besant pitched their company, Sage Mixology, on CBC’s Dragons’ Den. The episode aired on Wednesday. They were offered $500,000 in exchange for 40 per cent ownership of the company and a distillery licence. They turned down the offer, because they say they want to focus on making their product better before continuing in their enterprise.
Kalin Mitchell, a meteorologist for CBC, says to expect heavy snowfall late Saturday night. The storm is a result of a low pressure system out of the Gulf of Mexico, and will also affect southern New Brunswick and P.E.I., with P.E.I. seeing the worst of it. Parts of Halifax may see up to 30 to 45 cm of snow. Environment Canada has issued special weather statements about the weather disturbance.
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency crew were called to Agricola Street around 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The crew found a storage shed on fire that had been used by a construction crew working on a local project. After an investigation it was determined that a cigarette had been disposed of into a pile of debris, and started the fire. Nobody was hurt.